RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 | | Labels: , , , ,

RRK

I was at "Do Over" in L.A. on August 15th and was wearing this t-shirt.  When I wear shirts like this I expect for some jazz cat to say, "Hey what do you really know about Kirk?"  Thus, I'm always prepared to verbal battle for aficiando status.  A lot of folks told me my shirt was dope but no one knew who he was and what he represented for jazz music.  This man is a master of circular breathing.  My dad always talked about him when I was a kid.  My father saw him when he was 20 and says watching him play changed his life.  He was blowing four horns at a time and held a note for twenty minutes (yes, 20 minutes).  Below is a beautifully produced piece he was featured in called, "Sound," as well as my favorite song, "Theme for the Eulipions."  Be sure to check out Quincy Jones big him up.

As for "Do Over," Rich Medina and DJ Scratch killed it.  Enough said.



rrk2

Share

0 comments: