SADE - SOLDIER OF LOVE (REVIEW)

Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 | | Labels: , , , ,


I love Sade but this album doesn't have the one to two tracks that make the album spectacular.  Diamond Life (1984) had “Smooth Operator,” “Your Love Is King,” and “Hang On To Your Love,” and those were the first 3 tracks of the album.  Promise (1985) had "Is It A Crime," "The Sweetest Taboo," and “War of Hearts.”  Again, those were the first three tracks.  Not to mention, “Jezebel” and “Fear” are amazing sonically and conceptually.  Stronger Than Pride’s (1988) first four songs, “Love Is Stronger Than Pride,” “Paradise,” “Nothing Can Come Between Us,” and “Haunt Me,” are classics.  Love Deluxe (1992) is a certified classic where discussing the beauty of the songs takes the length of an essay.  Finally, Lovers Rock (2000), had “King of Sorrow.”  With that said, Soldier of Love is not those albums.  The songs that stand out, wouldn't stand out on her previous albums, yet the album is still okay.  The problem is that nothing really grabs your attention except "Morning Bird" and possibly "Long Hard Road."  The tone of the album is slow and somber, which isn't anything new to Sade, but even though calm and intentional is her style, she usually conveys it with such gut wrenching passion like a "Pearls" or "Jezebel," that you don't mind the lack of tracks with energy, but instead welcome it.  I need more time with it.  I'm going to create my own best of and post it here.  Stay Tuned.

My favorite song thus far: Morning Bird
Share

1 comments:

  1. El MarvelOso said...
  2. I agree with you. I want to like the album, but nothing stands out to me. I've listened to it many times already ("it'll grow on you"), but I still feel the same thing.